Friday, 4 January 2013

Day One


After a few hours of being awake with Eli, Monty and Krysten finally joined us. The sun had come up and  I told them to look out the window to see the Ocean. My favourite thing about our place is that I can do the dishes while looking at the sea, reminds me of home, and being close to the Ocean in Victoria.
Our new friends the Hunters picked us up and brought us to their place for a pancake breakfast. Even though the Island is small it is quite hilly, so we will be planning on getting a car. For now we will walk and rely on our kind friends from church. The breakfast was delicious and the conversation even better. Later that day our new friend Meghan and her daughter Amelia picked us up and took us grocery shopping. I was surprised at how many items they have available. However, the boat hadn't come in this week due to new years so no bananas for my Eli;) We got some fresh bread at the local bakery too, they have a lot of dutch specialties here as well. 
Eli was napping so Krysten and I joined our new friends for our first trip to the beach, the one we went to was called smoke alley. The waves were quite big so Krysten stayed on the beach and played in the sand and collected sea shells, she reported to me that "this is the best beach ever, can we stay forever"? I loved it and the water was warm and inviting. 
I made spaghetti for dinner, vegetarian style, I think we may be eating a lot less meat here until I figure out what will work.
There is no phone in our place, but we have cell phones that we can call people on the island with. I guess skype will have to do for now family:)
The locals are very friendly, if you didn't know that you may be scared walking into town, but give them a wave and a good afternoon and they are all smiles and will do the same. The streets are very narrow, and towards downtown they are all cobblestone which should make driving interesting.
We haven't seen a spider or cock roach yet, just a lot of roosters, cows and little lizards running around.
Day two was more unpacking and a little walk into town. We are slowly adjusting to the heat, the weather has been a little rainy in the early morning and a warm breeze all day.  I'm grateful we came in their 'colder' season.


Our humble abode. Three bedrooms, lots of room for visitors;)





Our little lizard friend.

Rosemary Lane, the hill I walk up to get to town while pushing the kids!


Eli's hat kept blowing off.



Dormant Volcano.



Always posing;)

Top of a road I am not sure the name of, on the way to the university.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing! Loving your bolg Claire. Can't wait to come see you!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible!!! I love that you are blogging your adventures! So so cool! Glad the kids are loving it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful, enjoy your amazing adventure x

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cool, love all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete