Thursday, 24 April 2014

Itty bitty kitty

Is it ok to admit that I'm not an animal person? Don't get me wrong, I love animals, they are furry and cute and often entertaining as long as they are not mine. The first five years of my life was spent on my parents hobbie farm, but I was too young and moving to the city at age 5 those former farm years did not stick with me. So when my 5 year old asks me daily, I kid you not, each day and night before bed if she can get her own kitty and or puppy, I have no idea where she gets this obsession from? I always reply "when you live on your own yes", or "when we have a yard and you can take care of it yourself". I really don't like the idea of cleaning up after an animal. Krysten adores animals, since she was really little she was always attracted to other people's pet. She often goes outside to find little critters, such as caterpillars and hermit crabs, and the wild cats that roam our apartment grounds. We frequent the zoo, nature park (petting zoo) and pet store so she can get her fix.
Then there was one day where she won the pet lottery and a little abandoned kitty, we have no idea how old but would guess around two weeks was found by our neighbour. They tried to feed it but it didn't know how to drink the milk and so they left it outside hoping its mother or another mother cat would feed it. Well sadly no mother came and the kitten cried the entire night. The poor kitten could barely walk, so our neighbour upstairs gave us a new born bottle and the cat was able to drink from the bottle like a baby. Oh and we got to take the kitten home because our neighbour couldn't watch him since he and his wife work long hours, 6 days a week. Lucky us (enter sarcasm in here) but no, the kids were ecstatic, they couldn't believe that they got to take him home. I'm not sure who was more smitten, Monty or the kids, but everyone was excited. And really who could turn a helpless little creature away? Not even the non pet lover me.

So here we have this new kitten who eats like a baby every three hours and guess who wakes up to feed him in the night. Monty, the daddy who has never had to do a night feeding with his own two children wakes up twice in the night and sleeps on the couch to be close to the kitten. It was pretty cute I'll admit but I still can't believe it. Luckily that didn't last long and after a week the cat could go eight hour.  I would do the morning feed after the kids woke up. Imagine your babies only took  a week to sleep through the night, I think I'd have ten! Joking;)

Krysten decided to name the cat Angel Diamond, we went with Angel. She had two different coloured eyes and got dirty very easily being all white. Monty did the bathing once a day, while I tried to keep contact at a minimum. The kids played with her for hours throughout the day. I was glad they got the experience of having a pet even if it was only for two weeks. Like I said, I am not a pet person and any mother with young children knows that the Mom is the one looking after the pet. So needless to say we found her a nice home with other cats and we will visit.




Krysten and Eli tell me often that they miss Statia because they miss their dog Fergie. Animals really are great friends for kids and I love watching my kids interact with them, but its still not enough for me to want one of our own;)

I can't believe we have been in St. Maarten for as long as we were in Statia. Time is a flying by, look how young Krysten and Eli look eight months ago. Please stop growing!






No comments:

Post a Comment